Edge of Disaster
March 22nd, 2023
49 mins 25 secs
About this Episode
Microsoft's moonshot is turning into a crapshoot.Support Coder Radio
- Berlin Meet Up, Fri, Mar 24, 2023 — Join Brent for an impromptu, short-notice, Nextcloud-esque meetup in Berlin!
- Berlin Buddies Matrix Chatroom — A room to organize Jupiter Broadcasting fans in Berlin.
- LinuxFest Northwest Matrix Chatroom — A chat community built around LinuxFest Northwest
- Jobs chatroom on Matrix — Hiring? Looking for work? Make a Matrix Connection!
- Ken Thompson - SCaLE 20x - YouTube — We're honored to have Ken Thompson joining us for our closing keynote at SCALE 20x. Ken Co-created Unix, UTF-8, Go and a number of other technologies that are foundational to our community.
- UNIX co-creator Ken Thompson is… <em>a what user</em>?
- Microsoft is testing a built-in crypto wallet in Microsoft Edge — Microsoft sleuth Albacore who first spotted the new Edge Crypto Wallet tweeted some screenshots and expressed his puzzlement about the possibility of it ending up as a new Microsoft Edge feature.
- Albacore on Twitter — Newest in the gauntlet of questionable upcoming Microsoft Edge features, a crypto wallet 💸
- Microsoft Edge now has a Bing AI chatbot sidebar — The new sidebar appears as a big Bing button at the top left of Edge,
- Amazon CEO Andy Jassy Announces an Additional 9,000 Layoffs — This recent round of layoffs will affect departments like Amazon Web Services, human resources, advertising, and Twitch live streaming.
- SVB employees blame remote work for bank failure — SVB included remote work as a risk to its business in its 2022 annual report — in part because of the IT issues posed when employees are dispersed around the country, but also for productivity reasons.
- Mark Zuckerberg says engineers who joined Meta in-person perform better than those who joined remotely — Pointing to “early analysis” of internal performance data, Zuckerberg said that engineers who started out at Meta in a fully in-person capacity before transitioning to a remote role, as well as those who have remained in an in-person role, “performed better on average than people who joined remotely.”
- It's time for open-source users to open their wallets
- Age of Easy Money (full documentary) | FRONTLINE — High inflation. Fear of recession. Disruptions, like the collapse of Silicon Valley Bank. How did the U.S. economy get here? A two-hour documentary special traces the road to this moment, and the role of the Federal Reserve, the country’s central bank.
- Fed Panics, Announces "Coordinated" Daily US Dollar Swap Lines To Ease Banking Crisis | ZeroHedge — Sunday 5 pm the Fed announced "coordinated central bank action to enhance the provision of U.S. dollar liquidity" by opening daily Dollar Swap lines with all major central banks, in a carbon copy repeat of the Fed's panicked post-covid crisis policy response playbook.
- Alby — Lightning for your Browser! — Alby brings Boosts to the web.
- Coder Radio on the Podcastindex.org — Send a Boost into the show via the web. First, top-up Alby, then head over to our entry on the Podcast Index.