Too Big to Care
January 25th, 2023
1 hr 2 mins 41 secs
About this Episode
How the world without "big tech" might look like, the EU promises to go after Elon and a much-needed head adjustment.Support Coder Radio
- JB's Jobs Matrix Chatroom — Looking for work or hiring? It's a spot for people in our community to make a connection.
- Google, Microsoft, Amazon, others have cut more than 70,000 employees — The job cuts in tech land are piling up, as companies that led the 10-year bull market adapt to a new reality.
- Layoffs in some of Apple's retail channels have begun — The layoff news was first disclosed from an email to AppleInsider. The email — which we have since verified through other sources — says that some Apple retail channel employees who work in places like Best Buy stores have received a thirty-day notice about their rights as it pertains to a layoff.
- Microsoft Hosted Sting Performance in Davos on Night Before Announcing Layoffs — On Tuesday evening, Microsoft hosted an event. It was an intimate gathering of 50 or so people, including the company’s top executives, who got to while away the evening listening to a performance by the musical artist Sting, said people familiar with the event.
- Old vs. New HomePod Buyer's Guide — First-time HomePod customers, those considering upgrading from the original, or anyone considering adding another HomePod to their setup to create a stereo pair may be wondering whether it is worth buying an original model or the new one, so it is important to weigh up exactly what was added with the reintroduced HomePod.
- Jas on Twitter — Bad economy or bad planning?
- Udhay on Twitter — Very well said. 🙌🏼
- Maniiesh on Twitter — This advice is a billion dollar one for all freshers and newbies like us of IT industry 👍
- Tanmay on Twitter — Value - Life, Family, Live with them for them.
- Jeremy Joslin on Twitter — It's hard for me to believe that after 20 years at #Google I unexpectedly find out about my last day via an email. What a slap in the face. I wish I could have said goodbye to everyone face to face. #layoffs
- Daniel Roberts on Twitter — Google NYC employees who arrived at the office early this morning stood in a line to test their badges-- if light turned red, it meant you had been laid off. if green, you were safe. 👎
- Elon Musk Claims He’s Not Worried About The FTC — A recent Washington Post article that is mainly about Musk’s actions over the past two months has destroyed his reputation among many who previously were impressed by him includes two tidbits about Musk and the FTC that suggest he’s in for a world of hurt when the agency takes action.
- EU Commissioner: Elon Musk Has To "Behave" Or Else.
- Alby — Lightning for your Browser! — Alby brings Boosts to the web.
- Coder Radio on the Podcastindex.org — Boost right from your web browser. After you top off Alby with some sats, head to our Podcast Index entry and Boost away.