Apple enters full panic mode over sideloading, and our plan to push back against industry-wide consolidation kicks off.Support Coder Radio
- You can't install your own SSD into a Mac Studio despite there being slots — In news that should surprise nobody, you can't install your own SSD into a Mac Studio.
- Jupiter Broadcasting East Coast Meetup — Let's hang out at the park across the street from Prime BBQ.
- Install and Configure NixOS on a Linode — You can use a pre-existing Linode, or you can create a new one. If you’re using a pre-existing Linode, go to the Create Disks for Nix section, and resize your images into that approximate format.
- iCloud and Many Other Apple Services Are Down — Affected services and apps include the App Store, iCloud, Siri, iMessage, iTunes Store, Apple Maps, Apple Music, Apple Podcasts, Apple Arcade, Apple Fitness+, Apple TV+, Find My, FaceTime, Notes, Stocks, and many others, according to complaints across Twitter and other platforms. Apple's developer website is also inaccessible due to server issues.
- Upcoming EU Sideloading Bill — The Digital Markets Act has been in development for some time and the finalized version that could be completed as soon as this month will allow for sideloading and alternate app store options. Apple will be required to allow customers in Europe to download apps outside of the app stores, and it will also allow developers to use alternate purchase methods.
- Consolidation in podcasting: happening fast — If you wanted to reach 50% of all weekly podcast consumers a year ago, you would need to have advertised on the top seven podcast networks. But after considerable acquisition of big independent shows in the past twelve months, you can now reach 50% of weekly listeners if you buy advertising on just four podcast networks, he says
- On the weaponisation of open source | Tales about Software Engineering — As part of this post, I’m going to look at the decision by MongoDB to cut off services in Russia, the destructive change in a node library that deleted files on Russian IPs, a change in code/licence in a community terraform module.
- New sanctions bill targets publishing code — It additionally calls for sanctions on anyone who “significantly and materially assisted, sponsored, or provided financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services to or in support of any [sanctioned] person.”
- [PDF] Digital Asset Sanctions Compliance Enhancement Act